Sunday, May 6, 2007

homecoming



I've slowed down on the 'ol posting haven't I? that's because my "day job" has been getting in the way. Well, that was until the Sharks landed on top of the log and the Bulls stampeded into number two. (see what I did there..) Now I have lots to gloat about. The job can take a back seat. You hear that "Shane from Accounting?" You can take your TPS reports and shove them up your urethra.

Before I get too into my self righteous tirade, I really want to congratulate the Bulls. It was like a cheesy sports movie come true. I know it's only the Reds (no offence) but the strength and determination to reel in a points differential so severe is truely remarkable. If the Springboks show this much heart in the WC there is not a team in the world that can beat us.

Picking a game that I enjoyed most this weekend is like picking a favourite sexual position, though the reverse cowgirl is pleasant, the wheelbarrow is nothing short of awe inspiring, and that's not even mentioning the rusty trombone. I thoroughly enjoyed the Crusaders getting stuffed by the chiefs. I enjoyed the dejected look on Robbie Deans' face, I enjoyed the monster stiff arm by Luaki that dropped McCaw on his ass. But mostly I enjoyed that, despite this enormous favour the Chiefs did me, they got nothing, and I don't have to worry about them later on the tournament. Seriously I am ten times more afraid of a momentum based team on a roll like the Chiefs, than a tired Crusaders team.

I enjoyed the Sharks game for the obvious reasons. They have a clinical style of play that I don't often see in South African teams. I am extremely happy with the way they play. They have the collective structure and individual brilliance to go all the way and give me a woody. (and win the tournament, if it comes to that.) I enjoyed the Bulls game so much. From the first Habanna score to the maniacal bearded serial killer looking Jaco VDW running madly in for the final try, it was an action packed blockbuster. If the Crusaders were watching that awesome display of forward power and backs brilliance they would be collectively shitting in their Dan Carter sponsored undies.

This has important implications not just for the immediate super14, but for the world cup too. What does it say to the world when, in a competition between NZ, Aus and SA the only teams good enough to make the finals are South African. I'll tell you what it says, it says: "Fuck you. Thank you for having us, but we'll take that there cup, and all the virgins in Paris (yes both of them)" As long as we can create or maintain some sort of psychological edge, the rest will work itself out.

And another thing.....When the final is played in South Africa, people all over will sit back and go: "huh, look at that, players, a ball, a referee??? Last year I couldn't see any of that"

Posted by CounterRuck @ 11:12 PM