Monday, May 28, 2007

In Communist Russia Blog writes you!!


This may seem trivial to most, and I agree it probably is, but when you find flaws in your inspirations, it is both heart wrenching and liberating at the same time. The sweet and the sour, if you will. I'd like to start off by saying that I have all the respect in the world for Keo and what he's doing. His is arguably the most significant Sports blog in South Africa (he could use a little sense of humor, but whatever.) Taking on the flawed rugby administration armed with facts and solid logic (everything I lack). Which makes it all the more confusing when he gives in to unseen pressure. I read a scathing post on Mike Stofile. It was good stuff, calling the minister on all his backtracking and self contradicting. But Lo, that post that once occupied the the front page, was pushed back to the archives page. Having seen the light for only a few hours, it was shunned to the rear like a petulant child. I posted a comment on a different thread enquiring as to the whereabouts of said post, only to find my own comment deleted?!? What had I done to deserve such treatment? was it that I had stumbled onto something bigger than all of us? or was it because I ended my post with a link to my site shamelessly piggybacking of his popularity? who knows.

Then, on a different thread there was a discussion going on regarding quota players and who's there out of merit, nothing new. It's a harsh reality in South African rugby. But then... the debaters were asked to please refrain from talking about politics and stick to rugby?!? Was this not the blog site that in it's glorious past championed the cause of disillusioned Bok fans angry at government interference in sport, unabashedly pointing out who was infact there on merit, and who was not? Why the sudden change of heart?

The last straw was when I was accused of being a conspiracy theorist (yeah yeah, I see where that might come from.) But none the less, a particularly inflammatory post regarding Jaco Van Der Westhuizens' t-shirt (yes, that one) was posted, inflammatory even by my standards. So discussing politics is out, but a raging debate about religion is fine. okay. This thread too got the 'ol heave ho to the back, and commenting was turned off. When I again enquired about this practise, I was called a clown and asked to drop it (seriously, a clown? what are we in kindergarten?. call me an asshole for fucks sake, it is true after all.) the official line was that it was pushed back to preserve speed on the homepage, not because they realised they made a monumental error in calling out people's justified wrath in protecting their heartfelt beliefs. That's fine, but tell me this, Why is a post with just over 300 comments deemed a risk to server performance, yet other posts that reach 550 are still going on? is it because righteous indignation carries extra bandwidth overhead?

If any one's looking for me I may be off to the Gulag soon.

Posted by CounterRuck @ 3:34 AM