Thursday, April 26, 2007

closer to the play offs


We are now getting to the finale of the glorious spectacle that is the Super 14. This is the first year I have ever referred to it as a "glorious spectacle " usually it's that piece of shit competition that I never really liked anyhow (which is how I now feel about the cricket world cup.)

While we're on the that, evryone's furious at the Proteas for fucking up so comically, I actually am not, surprisingly. You see in '99 I was watching the world cup semi final in London with 2 Ausies, and the sheer agony of knowing that it was pure stupidity that lost us that game, along with the fact that we were 1 run from winning, was unbearable. Cricket is a long game to watch, and to spend all that time thinking you're in with a shot, only to get shafted at the death, makes for a cranky motherfucker let me tell you. This time round I started watching the game at 1am NZ time, and faced the prospect of going to work the next day having not slept at all. At 1:45 Graeme Smith was out, and at 2am Jaques Kallis was out. I knew we were fucked, and what followed was 6 hours of blissful uninterrupted sleep. The other reason I wasn't too upset, was that if we had lost due to the proteas playing a slow batting innings, carefully selecting each shot, planning each over, that would've been embarrassing. Instead what they did was swing like slutty soccer moms at every ball. no fear and no brains, it was good to see. we weren't going to let the Ausies and their formidable record scare some sense into us, no, fuck that, we're going to charge. I will bet you good money Smith and his buddies were still hammered when they took the field. Only drunks and crazy people are that indestructible.

On to more pressing matters, the Super 14. Last week was a strange week with the Blues losing to the Stormers, even though I alluded to it's possibility I still never expected it to happen. I was pleased. But the Sharks loss to the chiefs really pissed me off. It gave the Blues an undeserved lifeline, because invariably now, if the Blues and the Sharks score exactly the same amount of log points in the last two games, it will be the Sharks traveling to Auckland instead of the other way around. So it is up to the Bulls to beat the Blues for some order to be restored. The Crusaders should... aaah fuck the Crusaders. I don't care .they only become my problem in the event of the Sharks getting to the finals. There is of course another scenario whereby the Bulls beat the Crusaders in Chch and subsequently we have an all South African Final, but that is a dream so preposterous it's very mention is heresy and a sin against mankind. would be nice though. The rest of the games don't really matter, I'm watching the Hurricanes Highlanders game, and the most entertaining thing was when Mex realised that Andrew and Charlie Hore were both on the filed. "Oh look a pair of Hores." funny stuff. These are trying times these last few weeks,there may be drunken violence depending on the outcomes of these games.

Posted by CounterRuck @ 6:18 PM

Read or Post a Comment

hey bud, glad to see your blog is still going along nicely

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ May 4, 2007 at 1:12 AM #
 
<< Home