Sunday, March 18, 2007

mid season panic


I am a worried man, and I'll tell you why. I went to a fancy bar to watch the Lions game. My mistake, because apparently it is customary at a fancy bar to play the rugby on a TV but have the sound muted, and blare gay club anthems vol.1 over the stereo. There was something ironic about watching the Lions get raped to the tune of "Boys of Summer". The Lions lost (Badly) But that's not why I am worried. On Saturday I watched the Bulls get mangled by the Crusaders. I have to say I held out hope that the Bulls might take this one, and if they were ever going to beat the Crusaders at home, this was it, they will never ever have it this good again. Again not the reason I am filled with sickening dread. I was at a Braai and already well into my grossly overpriced pack of castles, so the Stormers Waratahs game flew by in a confusing blur. In the end the Stormers won, and I was drunk . One of those outcomes is very likely the other, a nice surprise, I'll let you decide.

It wasn't until I woke up on Sunday morning late afternoon, when it dawned on me why I am so perturbed. It had nothing to do with the fact that the Castle Lagers I paid a hefty ransom for were actually brewed during the apartheid years and only just made it to NZ for me to buy (Do you have any idea the hangover you get from 13 year old beer?) No I'd already made peace with that. Usually when the Sharks play a 3 am game and I'm too tired drunk to watch, I wake up in the morning sick with the prospect that they may have lost. Without fail, I will wake up on a Sunday, and as soon as I figure out where I am I'll start to piece together the previous night and immediately fear for the Sharks. First however I'll mentally draught up apologetic emails, I even have a template set up.
But I digress, The reason I am so concerned, is that once I had worked through my personal disgrace, there was no concern for the Sharks. The possibility of their loss was never even a factor. And that, dear friends, is what is wrong. I have lost my predisposition to losing. Which only means that the universe is lining me up for a big surprise. I've seen what Crusader fans look like when their team loses. it's like someone turned off the sun. they're bewildered, crying, chewing on their own legs. that sort of shit. Whereas losing used to be a certainty and winning a nice surprise, I now don't think I can deal with a loss Luckily we're playing the Brumbies next, so no problem there.

Posted by CounterRuck @ 8:45 PM