Monday, February 19, 2007

Weekend Roundup


Great weekend to support South African rugby, Unless you're a Bulls fan that is, because then you're like the kid in the class who did not score above %60 in the test and therefore no one gets ice cream. Thanks Bulls, thanks for nothing.

The Sharks 23 - 16 Highlanders
This game was tighter than I expected. Callum Bruce,
Callumed his way through the game, again. I'm coining a new phrase by the way:
Callum v., (Callums, Callum-ing, Callumed).
v.tr. 1. To error during a game of rugby union, at a high level of consistency
2. To have a rugby ball collide with ones septum in the act of passing from another player

But the most important aspect of this was the return of the Bob. He wasn't on for very long, But he made a few good tackles, all up I will reserve my judgement untill I see him play at least 60 minutes. This was also the first Super14 game that Frans Steyn started at Flyhalf, he's not bad, I think the more he and Ruaan play outside each other, the more likely they will form the nucleus of the future Springbok team (You like that? Nucleus? yeah. Take that Juffrou Meyer, Turns out I CAN write in English, I just didn't do it back then because I was too cool. Too cool for school in fact.)
also SHARKS ARE TOP OF THE LOG. thank you.

Lions 9 - 3 Crusaders
Who the fuck wrote this screenplay?! And I don't care what Fucking Kent Brockman says.
I Still think this was an unlikely outcome. And before Keo says "oooh, but I picked that the Lions would win this one, la di da." Yeah, you also picked the Bulls to win, you self Righteous fucktard, and look how that worked out. Good game though, This young Lions team, seem to be playing better than most other Cats teams before it, and I think we all know what turned it around. Their new cheerleaders, Holy Shit they're hot, I'd gladly sell my '93 honda for a night of passion with all of them. It has good mileage, and a clever bumper sticker involving a sleepy cat. So you know, see what you can do.

Vodacom Cheetahs 30 - 26 Waratahs
I Stayed up to watch this game, and it was well worth it. The thing I like about the Cheetahs (I have said this before, and I will keep repeating it, like an Alzheimer's patient) is that they're not a team of showboats, There are no "Superstars", they're just a talented bunch of players, led by an inspiring captain, with a competent coach. Sounds pretty simple huh? Why is it no other South African team can do the same.

Reds 3 - 6 Brumbies
I try not to user the word, "SuckFest" too much because it's a great word, and I don't want to nullify it's impact through over use. But this was the fucking Olympics of suckfest. the Lowest scoring game in super rugby history? that's great, It's also the the game with the single highest fan fatality rate caused by chewing off their own wrists.


Hurricanes 23 - 22 Blues
Yeah, this was a pretty good game, They really are a talented pair of teams, They propose, In my humble opinion the two greatest threats to a South African finalist. I'm Kinda glad the Hurricanes won, because now the Sharks are the only unbeaten team. But at the same time, I don't want to give the them any more confidence than I have to. They seem to me to be a very mindset based team. If they're distracted by anything If, for instance, a ninja in a Sharks t-shirt, snuck into their changing rooms and wiped human feces all over their game jerseys I think they might have an off game.

Bulls 27 - 30 Western Force
I watched this game twice, and I still can't understand what happened. The Bulls looked good in the forward battle, not too bad on defence, snuck a couple of good tries in And yet with a few minutes to go I look at the scoreboard, and it's panic stations. I think that's what happened to Matfield too, the flow of the game felt to both of us as if the Bulls were cruising to a victory, and that's what lead to a pretty a bad descision, I suspect this is what happened.

Vic: Boys, we haaf a penalty wif free minutes to go, lets go for de linout, Because I am de MAN wif line outs.
Anton Leonard: Ja, but Vic, shouldn't we looks to the scoreboard, I mean it's very possible, we may not actually be in front.
Vic. Jirre Anton, always wif de details. Okay, You tell me what the score is.
Anton:.................I forgot my glasses at home.
Vic: Line out it is den.


Vodacom Stormers 21 - 15 Chiefs
You know, The Stormers are really starting to piss me off. even when they win against arguably the worst team in the tournament, they still make it look as unconvincing as they can without actually losing. The Stormers represent everything that's wrong with SA Rugby, over hyped ageing super stars (read Bryton Paulse) shit defence, reliance on opportunistic tries. and an all round apathy with regards to the game. What is the difference between a courageous W.P. team, and a bullshit Stormers team................? I don't know, what do I look like, Wonder Woman? If you look at the sum of it's parts, The Stormers appear unbeatable (Brent, Shcalk, Luke, Jean, Britz) and yet when you put them together, you get a cocktail that makes you vomit and induces depression (Screw you depth charge, never again.) I suggest we get the worlds greatest scientists in a Room and force them, at gun point, to figure this out. That's how things get solved in S.A.

Posted by CounterRuck @ 1:57 PM